Thursday, August 3, 2017

Dopey McMopey

I ran into a guy at the gym whom I've known for a while now. He claim himself and actor but...when I ask him about his plans, he never has any. He's pretty blase about anything. Most actors I know how SOME life in them. This guy is dead and soulless. So it was a little unnerving to continue any conversation, polite or otherwise. He did confess that a while back when I told him that he shouldn't wait to be cast'd in anything but to make his own content, he shrugged me off. Now I'm not a fucking genie, but if you are bouncing around Los Angeles hoping for anyone to come knocking at your door, get the fuck out now. That's what he was doing. No auditions, no plays, no legwork...NOT serious.

I'm not sure how this guy got to be as entitled as he was other than I believe he has a level of resentment coming from the fact that he was Korean born adopted by White family from the midwest. Ugh. White do-gooders do the worse. Because they are mostly Jesus freaks. Guess what you aren't going to raise? Because spirituality isn't because you constantly feel like a rescuer and everyone should be grateful. So there you have it. Conversely, I have another Korean born White family raised friend who hustles like I've never seen. He was also raised in the Midwest, and though he has the same resentment, he is FOCUSED. This dude works his ass off. Makes his own content and continues to nudge his networks constantly. I met him doing my stuntman podcast and he is relentless in getting shit done. A nice guy who has a chip on his shoulder to make stuff. Reminds me that I should contact him again.

Anyway, it feels like most people in this town who want to work in the entertainment field need to learn things the hard way. In truth, I did too. Not that I didn't think I needed a job to supplement filmmaking, but that the road wasn't the most direct. And therefore it was a distraction. This is wrong. ANYTHING you can do to remain working at your craft (YES, motherfucker...CRAFT) do it. There is no shame in supplementing any passion you have with the drudgery you need to endure. Otherwise, how important was it to begin with. And yes, as you get older the passion makes a little room for reality. It's not a bad thing to stay here as long as you can. And stay relevant if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment