Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Mallory Grossman: 12 year old suicide

Mallory Grossman's folks are suing their school for not doing enough to prevent cyberbullying.
Man, it is ROUGH being a child. Rough and easy at the same time. Rough that there are no secrets your friends can spread about you if they hate your guts. Easy because you have access to anything you want to learn about anything.

I find it hard to sympathize with parents who sue a school over what is easily ignored at home. Or by confiscating a cell phone and not allowing their daughter to face the ugliness which is late middle school.

I often wonder what would be of my life had I had social media. I doubt we'd all have time to develop as humans when all our lives are constantly under scrutiny. I'll tell you what though, I made a ton of videos, so most likely my shit would've ended up on YouTube full of people hating on my stupid antics. Dumb backyard horror movies. Back in the day, I made them just to show my classmates. That was enough. What I mean about development is this...sometimes the quiet times away from school means so much more than having every waking day tethered to schoolmates. I presume Miss Grossman was so tied into the terrible teen inner circle of pettiness that she couldn't deal with shame anymore. I get that. I can't believe how many nightmares I've had over shameful dumb shit I still remember from those days. It cuts deep. More so if she had to live the rest of her adolescence facing these monsters who've embarrassed her time and time again.

As her parents, I realize they are hurt by the stupidity of the school. And as most assholes on the internet have done, they place the responsibility of this cyberbullying on the bullies' parents and not the school. I'm not entirely sure anymore. I would guess they sued the school because the citizens don't have money. They're hurt and angry and want answers. Though suing the school does nothing as they are just as complicit as someone breaking their nose over a game of kickball. Kids are awful to each other. Maybe the real lesson is to toughen children up more for the reality of humanity. And find an outlet to which life seems to have ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment