Sunday, July 16, 2017

"War For The Planet Of The Apes"

"Apes" are most likely now synonymous with anything that is in the primate family. I guess.
This movie is pretty solid. Though, as another friend put it, not much of any warring.

True.

But that's all okay. Personally, they needed to switch the titles of "dawn" with this one "war" and all would be fine. I didn't feel bamboozled since...the titles of the original were pretty corny too.

The computer FX in this are amazing. First time I've EVER said this. The physics are now there and they are scary good. Yes, we're still okay in the uncanny valley but we are nearing our own code to make human actors null and void and just extract voices. Saves on insurance, and bad attitudes.

The story starts with a battle. Human versus Ape. You get the sense it has a Vietnam War feel but the battle swings a few ways. We learn soon that they are in search of a leader that had been lost and presumed the enemy of the state in Caesar, the original talking ape. The simian flu is now spreading and causing a shift in why the apes are being hunted if all they wanted was peace. Now, I'm sure there is a political statement here but I won't venture to guess. What I will say is that I am perfectly okay to be part of the human coalition no matter how much kindness is extended through this primates. I am human, and with it flaws.

So goes evolution. Which, if you look at this time, it would actually be reversed. As our arrogant minds like to believe. What is soul crushing is knowing that this is our future. But...again, very little about this is about a war. Well, it's a different sort of war. One whose moral lines DO get blurred, so I'll leave it at that.

A thought provoking movie in a b-level material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment