Monday, July 17, 2017

Ferris Bueller Re(dis)membered

I was barely a teen when a guy who worked in my parents kitchen GLOWED about "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." I had to go see it. And my Mom was super-cool enough to...well, cool enough to drop me off at the cinema to see this.
I thought the movie at the time was...okay. It was funny to see that the concept had been stolen thousands of times after.

As you get older, and you watch this movie again, it's a hot pile of burning smoking shit. And it bamboozled us to think we were cool and rich enough to do the things Ferris could get away with. When you are an adult, you conclude that he is an annoying Ego trip who probably would be stabbed to death by a gay lover. Or, in some fanboy storyline, he was the split personality of Cameron.

I guess what annoys me more than anything about this movie is...it's not really about anything. A guy skips school. That's it. Is that enough for a full blown movie? Is this a commentary on late 80's uptight-ta-tude? The money starved jerks that were adults of that era? You see the irony of a boy who is a constant disappointment to his parents be the one doted on? Because a person who gets away with crime is a modern day folk hero? That's for you to decide. As a 40+ year old guy now, it's not that he gets away with things, it's like director John Hughes thinks we're that Jennifer Grey character. And we're uncool if we disagree with him.

As Gilbert Gottfried told Matthew Broderick in a podcast, Ferris was an annoying jerk who should be drowned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment