Sunday, July 23, 2017

John G. Avildsen R.I.P.

I am an idiot for not mentioning the passing of someone I've respected for so long.
He is the director of some of my favorite films of all time "The Karate Kid" and "Rocky." Funny how he and John Badham got mixed up for one another back in the day (at least I kept mixing them up), Maybe because the used the same cinematographers.

At any rate, I recall watching "The Karate Kid" over a hundred times on VHS. The movie still is quaint, despite the recent trashing of the 80's content. And the fact that Ralph Macchio wasn't a kid at all. The one thing you can see in the supplemental material is how much Avildsen cared. He videotaped EVERYTHING before he filmed it. Essentially filming it twice. This tough New Yorker was no slack. NOR was he an asshole. Listening to the commentary, you also sense he was a wise-cracking catch you off guard type. Which his zany truths and ability to see things for what they are is an endearing quality. Little did I know the turmoil which were some projects he had either left, developed and left or plain fired. Or was that John Badham?
His commitment to cinema is inspiring, as he was a true story teller. And loved the people he worked with (as indicative of his commentary.

I wish he made more movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment