Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Fourth of Jooooo-lie

10PM pow! bang! crackle, crackle,crackle!
Yep, my street still had shit going on when I was about to go to sleep. Which says a lot about me if I can sleep through what is essentially gunfire.

4th of July is the only time in the year where we all collectively become rednecks. And become proud of the country by lighting shit on fire and drinking. Too bad it was on a weekday this year, so folks most likely took the 5th off.

I didn't get to see the fireworks which is fine, because I can hear them. Though I've never been all that interested in watching shit blow up, I wanted to blow shit up. So the fireworks never even interested me. The professionally done ones with the ooo's and aaah's seem trite now. It's that old man shitbag part of me, I suppose. Watching kids watch fireworks is probably much more interesting now. Because their brains can't wrap around how fire patterns are made in the sky.

I spent my 4th actually writing a screenplay with my friend. We sat by the pool with a grill going and talked story. Whilst neighbors came out and grilled along side us. It was REALLY productive and...actually relaxing. We pounded out a lot of scenarios that our stories could take as a faint sound of thunderbombs crackled in the background. Discussing movie ideas and laughing and grilling. That is truly the American way. By the way, we're a REALLY young country. 241 years since the Declaration. Think about that. Chinese are in the thousands. We're only two generations removed. My great grandmother lived past 100. She lived close to half the years this country was founded. That is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment