Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Working Constantly

You know...I bet it's near impossible for people like Jennifer Lawrence or Denzel Washington or directors like Zack Snyder or Christopher Nolan to stop working. Ever.

The general consensus of busy people is that they aren't busy...they're lazy. These people hop from one movie to the next. We're talking 12-16 hour days on a set. With catering, dry cleaning and dodging papparrazi. Even on my down time, or that hurry-up and wait mentality, I get antsy. I start doing odd projects. Or try to write. But I physically feel if I'm not moving, it's confining. There's just so much left in life I've left to do. And want to do.

I get it may not be so...constrictive if you have people around. A daily list of things to do helps plan what you have going. Though planning too much and hitting a wall may also be daunting. I envy those who are moving and hustling. I don't have the energy. Which is the worst scenario. You have the ambition but not the energy.

A lot of ol' timers will tell you to extend your life, so go slow. I dunno. It seems sort of...counter intuitive to us as temporary tenants of Earth. The ability to slow down isn't a bad thing, to maybe enjoy life. But what if your enjoyment means you are on project to project. The downside being, you never get to reap the rewards of your work. Or bask in the complete glory of your accomplishments. I think that's what a lot of Lifetime Achievement awards are met with sadness. It means the books are closed on "achievements" even though you don't feel that way. Can you imagine any other craft that celebrates the breadth of your work?

No comments:

Post a Comment