Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Voluptuous Women


Marilyn Monroe died when she was just 36. If you think about the lifespan of people today, that would’ve been just the beginning. Women are having kids closer to 40 now. Obviously she had mental issues that probably cut her life short.
It got me thinking about the body image of women. We’re talking at the very least the 60’s (when Marilyn died) that we dudes love a voluptuous woman. Guess what? Kate Upton proves that again.
So what’s with all these women starving themselves to be rail thin like supermodels? Fuck if I know. Except maybe it’s really about making other women jealous. Or wanting guys to desperately desire them. To impress other women. I get that. We try to earn money, so we can get a car so we can impress women. Most women would say “why bother…it’s not the car.” Same set up. We don’t fucking believe them, so we keep trying to earn money or, at the very least, appear rich.
It does boggle my mind though. I don’t recall Marilyn ever doing any physical activity. It very well might be that her drug cocktails and boozing kept her from eating. You’d think a lot of it would’ve translated to her face. Baggy eyes, tired look, paunch…but it didn’t seem to effect her. I wouldn’t say they knew more about vitamins and medication then than they do now, but I would call that pretty miraculous, considering heavy drinkers and pill poppers do have a specific look.
I also wonder what Monroe would’ve looked like today. I mean, if she ever made it to grandma mode. I don’t know if she would’ve had that same status like Katherine Hepburn had. Maybe she would’ve settled down into a quiet life of someone like Jane Russell. Became a staunch Republican, bought property in the valley and disappear. She would’ve kicked ass on the Friar’s Club Roast, I think.
Again, I think about these icons that walked the Earth at one point. I can’t see today’s stars getting that same reverence. We just know too much. And…we KNOW to much. Can you imagine what they would’ve thought of the world today? A simple reminder being that they left their hand prints in concrete at Grauman’s Chinese Theater. You see Marilyn’s tiny hands, and you wonder what she was thinking about when she was given this honor:

No comments:

Post a Comment