Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Production Meeting


The production meeting is always a crap shoot. There’s a scene in “American Movie” where they meet at a Denny’s/Perkins/diner and discuss the intent of the project with each other. They are clearly out of their league, since the director enjoys acting like a director rather than actually directing. I’ve been that guy on my first movie.
My most recent one was interesting, in that I have very little to do. When the logistics of the shoot, which covers a lot of pages in 3 days, I bristle at what might transpire. The general rule is to listen and figure out what the game plan is. Then the round table tears apart what can go wrong. My own personal feelings are, I don’t want anything to go wrong on my watch. Even if my investment in it is simply to be helpful. And, yes…needed. The biggest complaint, I think any technician feels is just to be a cog in a wheel. In big budgeted studio pictures, it’s not that big of a deal. You get paid union rates, go home and support your family. Not too many people dream of making the next step. Unless it’s a pay raise. Grips are construction workers and fine by it. There have been generations of them…drive through Burbank , California. Those houses are paid for by union grip money.
For me, smaller productions means you are more invaluable. And that feels better than a paycheck (for now, anyway). I think that’s why Russell Carpenter A.S.C., Oscar winner for “Titanic” shot my friend’s short film. Those studio movies, he’s paid more than people make in a year. Does he get the personal satisfaction? Doubt it. He’s paid that much to do what he does best, so there’s only a downside. On a small movie, like my friend’s, he’s the mentor, savior, jewel she can’t do without. There’s no price tag on that. And yeah, you’re probably thinking I’m some schmuck who believes in being a mensch. But it’s real. Going back to your roots, sort of way. In those days, everyone did everything. You picked up an apple box when you pick up an apple box. You plugged in a light when you had to. Rigged things to other things. It’s the essence of pure community. In the studio movies, fuck that. I’m not even allowed to move my own apple box. A grip has to do it. So says the union. Great in theory, HORRID in practice.
To me, I can see those big dog cameraman revisiting the days of slugging it out in the trenches day in and day out. Those were the ones they felt most exhilarated. That they were part of the movie. As the control of a movie is slowly removed from the true artist, more of these old timers will most likely return to their passion. Being renaissance people, money be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment