Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Death Of The Department Store

I remember riding a bus to go downtown with my Mom to a Woolworth's. The old soda fountain station was still stuck in a corner somewhere, but collecting dust. It was in the city, which at that point, had been overrun by low income housing. So the displays, which were once grand...were scattered roughshod everywhere. The stuff that was still on the shelf were broken. I miss shopping for toys. I thought, at that age, I would NEVER stop shopping for toys.

The closing of a Kohl's and the collapse of the department store really kills me. Mostly, because it proves we're lazy fucking people who would rather things come to them via Amazon.
It's a quaint thought now. But leaving your home and going to a store is going to disappear. And we're going to regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment