Friday, February 12, 2016

Valentine's Day

Heya chumps, it's almost that time again. For those with mates to dread the ability to surprise them, and those without to feel left out. I was at the grocery store this morning and ran into the middle aged check out lady:
"You got plans this weekend?"
"Oh yeah, it's Valentine's Day"
"Got a sweetheart?"
"Ah...no." Who says "sweetheart" anymore. She seemed disappointed for me.
"ah out looking...that's fine too."
 You sure, lady?
backpedaling "You know, my ungodly hours, not many people can deal with that" knowing full well, if someone gave a shit about you, they'd wake up at 3 AM to cook you breakfast.

"Have a good one" she says as I hit the brick with my yogurt and Swanson's dinner for one.

I'm not writing to make you pity me, in fact...I like that it requires zero work for me this weekend. Only to be reminded here and there that I get no cards. And that a poor schlub out there has to double down. For instance, my co-worker accepted weekend work. He silently celebrated being away from the wife on this day of love. 'Aint love grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment