Monday, February 22, 2016

"Here's The Thing..." With Alec Baldwin


Let’s be clear, making movies is a collaborative effort. You need a lot of people to make something. If you don’t like dealing with people, being a filmmaker might not be your bag. And in today’s technology, it might not be your cup of tea.
I was listening to Alec Baldwin’s “Here’s The Thing…” podcast. Great interviewer, as Alec doesn’t give a flying fuck about most things. He likes to be a hothead Irish bully. It’s mental, which I think could be attributed to alcoholism. Maybe. I was listening to the Mickey Rourke interview. That guy has had some serious issues. And you get an insight as to why he was the fastest guy to get into The Actor’s Studio. He approached acting, like he did boxing. He had to be the best, which requires a ton of practice. I was more interested in his disgust for today’s filmmakers. Here’s a guy who’s worked with Francis Coppola, Adrian Lyne, Michael Cimino, Darren Aronofsky and so forth, and he’s just done with the Hollywood machine. He hates this fucking town as much as I do. But we both dance with the devil. I understand, to the extent, his psyche. That people who don’t appreciate the craft as seriously as you do, should suffer. But instead, in this town they thrive. Very little now, in terms of making movies, requires a single minded director (I think was the gist of his disgust). I agree. It’s a factory product now. And Rourke would rather (if it paid the same) be a factory worker than work for the machine Hollywood is now. The movies today are made by kids for kids, with no real backbone to stand up to what you believe in. Look, he’s not throwing stones, as to who gave him a way of life. It’s just funny to hear he spew out hatred I’ve often felt myself. The substance and heart of movies has been gutted. I’m not quite sure how he earned his respect in terms of every studio would love to have them in their movie. He spits on the hands that reach out, yet they want him more. That could be a lesson to be learned. Care about your work, the people will find you. Excel and train yourself rather than worry about box office success. All the oddball respected actors function the same. Crispin Glover, for one off the top of my head.
My point?...study your history. The craftsman of the past were highly respected because they cared about their product. In the podcast, Rourke was talking to Cimino about all the bad reviews he got for “Year Of The Dragon” (which I think is a really underrated movie). The situation was a nightmare for Cimino, considering he had practically bankrupted MGM/UA over “Heaven’s Gate.” Cimino doesn’t read any of his reviews. Good or bad. His position is that reacting to complete strangers’ assessment of your work doesn’t do anyone any good. MAYBE the audience. More so back in the 80’s than now. But if you accept the good reviews you also have to accept the bad. I can’t remember the last time Cimino directed anything. But whatever, “Deer Hunter” was bad ass.
I think it goes with my hatred for digital cameras. People get into the mindset that the newest is the best. The best will make you great movies. Obviously this is not true. If it makes it easier, sure…but professionals use professional gear…and that’s to say professional gear is available for amateurs, since everyone has jumped ship (on a daily basis) for the newest. The camera I own now has been used to shoot classic movies of the past. I haven’t polled too many people about their gear, but back in my day, we always loved knowing which gear people used because we wanted to be like our mentors/heroes. These days, it seems no one studies their predecessors, because now, younger folk seem to know more than anyone else. The battle to push forth left a massive gap for respect for what came before us. We’re about 15-20 years out from when the first digital camera shot a major release movie. I’ve yet to sense the new generation pick the brains of previous cinematographers for their wisdom. It just doesn’t mean all that much in the digital world. And that’s a shame. In terms of Rourke’s disgust for this new generation, I think a lot does ride on the effort it takes to make a movie the traditional way. I agree wholeheartedly. You have to REALLY want to make something that matters to shoot on film. I think the digital world has not only made things a little more convenient, it’s also made everyone a (supposed) expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment