Monday, February 15, 2016

Movies Are Subjective


Movies are so subjective. And sometimes personal. A person could’ve given me reasons why “Boyhood” sucked monster balls, but to me it spoke volumes of the times I grew up in. When I was younger, I’d get heated over these things, and argue vehemently the virtues of a movie, to deaf audience. As I’m much older now, I realize you can’t convince people what is a good movie or not. This is typical of how you probably approach your own projects as well.
I LOVE the saying “you aren’t as bad as people say you are, or as good.” It’s a lot harder when you have to make a living at it. A lot of armchair film critics have never made a film and don’t know the mechanics, logistics or politics that go behind the productions. So many people watch TMZ or Entertainment Tonight and think that is what is really going on. Not really. It’s a sense of what they want you to see is going on. Do you honestly believe TMZ gets news on entertainment they don’t release? They spend all that money on security and they just happen to be walking through the airport at the time paparazzi are there? Get real. It is a complete public relations move. IF celebrities wanted to travel incognito, it’s not impossible. To stay relevant, you do have to be talked about.
Oh, about movies. I can’t argue with what the public likes. I can tell you what I liked or didn’t like, but the audience is NEVER wrong. IF they like a garbage movie, it’s already beaten the odds. They pay money to watch these movies. Sometimes I’m a paying customers, other times I’m on the sidelines carrying the clipboard. My criticisms of movies stem from….fond memories of watching old titles OR really disappointed at what counts for hearty movies in theaters. As I do get older, I do tend to bend more towards the better diet. In all facets of my life.
I wouldn’t anyone to think I’m a complete basher of comic book movies. Shit, my IMDB credits me with a LOT of good ones, but mostly disasters. I get to see the logistics of both. Everyone tries hard to please the public. Again, when I was younger, my attitude was more “Fuck you dumb people, I’m going to make a movie and you’re going to like it” Nowadays, I’d be happy to even finish a feature. It’s fucking hard, man.
So I don’t fault any movie for actually being completed. Anyone who’s been around or for movies…it’s a massive grind. Most people should try to make a movie and get their shit handed to them before they talk smack about it. I was watching “@Midnight” with Chris Hardwicke recently, and they have a segment where they show YouTube videos of housewives, teachers, PSA and whatever put a music video together. They mock these people for the very amateurish awful video they slapped together over a day. There is not much thought put it into it, other than “gee, making something clever is pretty easy” UNTIL they show it to the world. Then it’s mocked on some Comedy Central late night t.v. I asked my friend if the people who are ridiculed understand how embarrassing it is to be publicly shamed. Truth is, they may understand it is corny and terrible or whatever…but it still stings. I personally think they should take pride in the crap they make (despite the good natured people who “like” your video, because of obligation). The “pros” in Hollywood shit on it means you at least caught some attention. Yes, you are bending truth to suit your ego, BUT…more positive spin is that you are keeping your dull mind busy…at the very least. If you think about it…Hollywood doesn’t even get that far.

No comments:

Post a Comment