Friday, September 23, 2016

Middle Management Dopes


You will more than likely run into a person like this in the movie business, because it’s somewhat become corporate. I dodge a middle aged middle manager who more than likely, at one point in their life, had aspirations for more. Saddled with a wife and a mid-ranged apartment in Studio City (pretty pricey area) he sees how rich people thrive and he doesn’t. He’s a salaried employee that gets his jollies AFTER work. He’s resigned not to put his energy into creative endeavors. So naturally, in his mind, you shouldn’t either.
Making a movie is hard enough. There are more obstacles than support and you it will most likely suck. I mean your movie. You learn and move on. All movies. I bet you anything Coppola is still wondering about some parts of “The Godfather.” So, this bozo middle manager loves nothing more than to be in your way.
I’m trying to see his point. A 50+ year old White male who plays golf. Time would be better spent, perhaps writing or shooting personal projects. He has COUNTLESS connections to actual talent. Yet, he seems gunshy to approach anyone about anything ever. Except to question what I am doing making my own projects. I know he’s the snitch. But it seems to fall on deaf ears, considering upper management seems to champion me for making movies. So in lies…the passive aggressive moments. Things like asking me to do things clearly out of my job description and clearly meant for a minion. We had a confrontation about that. I don’t suffer these games lightly. Not because I’m some badass, because I simply want to say…IF you need help to make your movies, all he would need to do is ask. I would give him my best advice. But he has no clue where to begin, so therefore, he believes you are less than him. I guess a typical response. I have a co-worker that worked at a different facility that had a similar issue. THAT company puts a massive kibbosh on doing your own movies. I have NO idea why. I suppose several reasons, but none that seem valid. Crashing a system. Using company resources. None of these people are above using any of this to suit their piddly projects (as I’ve seen them do). They grouse when you do the same. As if you’re going to draw a spotlight on their own garbage. The powers that be understand they don’t pay us what the union industry typically does. SO, why not allow the use of the facility. I get that accidents do happen. But, let’s be honest here, a person who spends time, energy and money to do their own project has the detailed mindset NOT to make the mistakes they think exists.
At the previous company I worked for, they had ZERO problem with it. In fact, many people were wanting to get involved (although some were grotesquely jealous and cheering on you to fall on your face) at least management LOVED LOVED LOVED the idea you wanted to make something. They knew your chances of making it big were slim (although, Andy Samberg worked in our vault…I wonder if people mistook him for Adam Sandler, because of the name and look?).
I wonder…if I stuck around into my middle age and haven’t gotten anywhere in life, and lost the gas to do anything whether I would purposely step in some younger person’s way. I don’t think I have that in me. I like helping people where I can. It’s a Midwestern thing, I think. Doing your best to make others’ lives better. No matter if it costs you. I think people like this dude are what make this town awful. Because we all need to help each other. This place is rough, man. Like REALLY rough, and I’ve seen the hard reality creep into my own psyche, which I hate. I love running into newer people here because they have such ambition and hope. I DON’T want to be that asshole that feels they can’t do something. I don’t want to be the problem if I’m not the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment