Monday, September 19, 2016

Ahh...Football...

It's so odd that a game so rooted in violence can bring families together. I guess the natural comparison is to gladiator sports. Will generations down the line look at us and think us savages? Probably for other things. But for the time being....Black/White Asian Hispanic...rooting for a like minded team brings people together. I use to go to a bar in North Hollywood that was a rouuuugh Raider bar. I never had beef with them but Steeler fans and them and Chiefs fans never got along. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. We'd grouse about how the bar has gone downhill since they let those animals in. A friendship was forged. Even our enemies who we talk shit to become our friends. My friend Doc is a massive Steeler fan because his Dad lived the Eagles. He is Black and gay. So naturally the hatred he felt for his Dad extended into choosing a team different than his. Doc and I would get plastered and talk massive smack to one another. In the end...we loved each other like brothers. I continue to fuck with him about the Steelers and he would dig at me about my lowly Bengals. Shows how much we really are alike. Gay, Black, Asian, White...we bond at ground level.

Despite all talk about how the NFL is about criminals and thugs....I can't but defend them by saying how much it means to cities across America. In Los Angeles...which now has a team...we run into random fans of random teams. And we can tell who's the fan by all the stats we sling around.
It's football season.

No comments:

Post a Comment