Thursday, September 8, 2016

Kayla's Snowflake


I keep a really odd looking snowflake art work from my niece, Kayla:

What I absolutely love about it is how it came to be.
As I was sitting at my sister’s home in Cincinnati, I was observing her make a snowflake. She used a brown crayon.
“you know snowflakes are made of water?” I asked her.
She looked up from her drawing. And shrugged.
“water is usually seen as blue right?”
She continued to color that brown snowflake. Oh well,  I thought, perhaps she’s looking at real Ohio snow, which after the dirt, it is pretty brown.
The next day I went back out to hang with Kayla again (she much more fun than Ben, my teenage nephew, since he’s too cool for everything). I was reading to her from some book when she disappeared into her art corner and came back with…
…a blue snowflake.
Just when you thought they weren’t listening. Or didn’t care.
I think the lesson for me here is…words to a little kid make much more of a difference than when you’re an adult. Be open minded to understand the world around you.
How does she find the time with all the housework?:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment