Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Why Did I Keep My Car So Long

I remember going to a shop in Burbank having just bought a BMW at an auction site. A 7-series that would've killed me from the inside out. It was fast, and had a ton of issues. The least being, it was at an auction site.

I got my money back from that sale and took the wad of dough to this shop. The place was tiny and ran by, what looked like a foreign family. I hadn't had my mind set on some luxury vehicle. Other than I needed a car after my Volkswagen was towed away.

That's when I saw this sedan. Which, in a very weird way, is the upgrade of my VW. Sedan, Germany, white, and...simple. When I jumped into the driver's seat, the car smelled...well, aged. It is a 1995. And I got it in 2004. With less than 100K miles. Which meant the car wasn't the main driver for whomever dumped it at this lot. I found a swizzle stick in the glove box. It seemed like an older lady car. The car is SOLID. Real metal. I couldn't get past the smell. It's not leather, just...clean carpet. As if I were moving into a new house.

I paid for the car in cash. In fact, I negotiated it so I gave him the money directly. Counted it out in front of him (I just so happened to have the cash from the BMW thing). And I could see his eyes widen. It was to his benefit to dump a car about to need the major work at that 100K mark. He added taxes. To which I clarified that I only have cash for the agreed upon price. He balked at first. To which I closed the fan of cash and headed for the door. Of course he wanted that sale. To which we sat down...I didn't do a CarFax on this car. Didn't research the history. Nothing. Just felt it was the right car for me. We did the handshake and I walked out the door with the keys. Now, and this still gets me misty, the gravity of what I just did hit me. I had bought my first car. Me. The first car I plunked down cash for. The VW was my parents buying a sensible car for my teen to college years. This was...mine. The first to be in Los Angeles car. I stopped a moment to take a photo and send to my then-girlfriend.

I know some people think this is stupid to think inanimate objects have soul. They may not have souls, but they have history. Now I know people think me dumb for holding onto something that is sucking the money out of me. And I get it. But I don't abandon family. And, as far it's been, it's been the only thing that has been at some pretty important moments. Including my friend's recent wedding.

I woke up one afternoon having just bought her a full tank of gas. And hopped in to go to a friend's house. She sputtered and wheezed. That's odd. I researched what I could and determined it was bad gas. Maybe not. A Mercedes expert concluded it was most likely an engine harness that the cars are notorious for giving out around the 100K mark. He believes it was simply a miracle that it made 226,000 miles. He said in his accent "The last of the great Mercedes." Which I meant to mean...the year after, they went to non-German parts and assembly. I took her home. Or rather, she carried me back to the apartment.

This morning when I went to do my daily check up before going out into the world, I saw she had dumped all her fluids. The gas tank was low, the coolant completely gone. I cranked her a little. She sputtered alive and gave me all the warning lights. Some real. Most not. I just said my goodbyes. And turned the key to off.
That's the last I heard out of her. See, she got me home when I could've been abandoned at work, at the grocery store I stopped at, or on my way home. But she held out, so I made it back. Something to be said about the spirit between a guy and his car.
Thanks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment