Sunday, September 4, 2016

Director Friends

There was a young dude at work, who I first thought was retarded. He's walleyed. Bespectacled. And odd. He asks weird questions. And is skittish.

How was I to know he's directed a feature film. Yes...on film.

So here I am being a total douche assuming very little people. As people probably assumed of me. We talked a bit. And the more he spoke the more I knew he knew the score of this town. He is from the east coast. An art student. And you can tell the newer filmmakers because their compositions are so...stiff. All David Fincher influenced. It doesn't blow my skirt up, but you can't deny the skill that is involved in being economical in shots. They are well crafted movies. Except he had nothing but horrid things to say about his first foray into feature directing. To be fair, he is a writer first and a director second.

His movies are really good. In fact, eye popping, high-skilled good. So why hasn't he been given more chances. Even though this one feature was buried into the annals of straight-to-stream world (this was roughly 5 years ago). I can't tell you the answer. There are people who are far less skilled working consistently. It could be his inability to deal with people? I'm not sure. Autistic people have genius but lack the human interaction, They'd rule the world if they had both parts.

I'm still not sure why that opportunity hasn't been made available to the guy. He's a nice enough dude, but it must be grating to work in a cage which is post-production.

It's really painful to know that even talent limits you. You can't help to determine how much luck is involved. And the perfect blend between talent and the right person watching your movie.

It's a strange business we work in.

No comments:

Post a Comment