Wednesday, June 1, 2016

"Into The Sun" (2005)


I dunno if Seagal has like the sixth sense on hot button topics but were talking about 11 years ago this movie was made and it involves the influx of immigrants into a country, and the politicians who run on a platform of keeping them out (Donald Trump-ish guy). The Chinese versus the Japanese.
I wouldn’t be surprised at this point if I unearth an earlier movie with Seagal where he was seeking revenge for a gorilla that was murdered by zookeepers after a kid fell into its pen.
Well, I’m pretty glad the movie I shot with him isn’t the worst Seagal movie ever. I would say this one is the worst I’ve seen. It’s only a massive disaster because money was backing it. AND a distributor. We had neither, so I would say our movie at least had an excuse.
First off, no Asian in this movie can speak a lick of English and most likely learned their dialogue by repeating noises that sound like English. It’s AWFUL people. The second, it’s about Steven Seagal as a raised-in-Japan cop? I’m not even sure about that, who is tracking down this meeting between Yakuza & the Chinese gang. I would get into the plot, but I’m really confused. The C.I.A. is involved somewhere about a drug deal and there’s also another sub-plot of a change of power of Japanese gangs from old to young…or something like that. I’m sure I’m annoying you fine readers.
This was directed by someone named “mink” which I remember a long time ago was an affiliate of A Band Apart company on the music video/commercial side. I'd been an intern there when he was making vids. Yes, "mink" is a person and back in the 90’s people thought it cool to have a brand rather than a name. There was another pairing that called themselves Hammer & Tongs. Don’t ask.
Seagal sings a few tracks in this movie too. Not bad. If you didn’t know it was Seagal, you’d think Scott Weiland. Yeah, that’s how much I didn’t like that junkie. Or how much I kinda’ respect Seagal’s music. I think Seagal just digs for excuses to sing his songs. How cute.
This movie is pretty horrid. But I do have an understanding as to why it would be so bad, having worked with Seagal, he runs with his muses. Not really consider that he had very little to do with the successes of his earlier films. I suspect him to be like Paul Hogan who plasters his name on everything he’s in, in case it miraculously becomes a hit and there are residuals.
It was cool to see Ohio State Buckeyes Heismann Trophy winner Eddie George in the opening sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment