Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Hollywood Party - Post-40

When you get to a certain age in this business, parties become a way for people to quietly celebrate their work. I prefer this than the knockdown drag out drunken soirees.

I attended one last night in the Hollywood Hills, to wrap a short film I was involved in. Everyone who was there are kind, gentle people. Far from the rambunctious slug fest that I came from when I was a 28 year old cinematographer on location in Castaic, California and practically raping women in a hot tub.

I prefer the quiet nature of this, BECAUSE it was civil. And classy. I brought a 5 cheese plate that was from an artisan shop. Though I didn't partake in the wine, in my youth bottles would've been downed and I would've embarrassed myself. I'm certain stories are still told from my past transgressions. I'd re-tell some of those moments, IF I could remember.

This might also be the new generation though. Quietly, and soberly enjoying the view and the people. I will admit this much, the people who were involved are MUCH more mature than I ever was. Beautiful people (inside and out) not always mentally stable. And considering the atmosphere, it's hard to figure out people even had a rough pass at life. The mix of young, old and crazy. I recall stories told by movie producers of their days of when they were my age. Perhaps we've drunk harder, fucked harder and now a tired shoe. I'm not sure. I think Sam Peckinpah definitely went out screaming. As I'm sure Judy Garland had daily nightmares.

This might be our adversity to pain and suffering. I prefer the quiet nights. Just a cigar, cool Los Angeles air and a fantastic conversation with good people. Can't ask from this town for much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment