Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Family Filmmakers


I was watching a retrospect of George Romero’s “Day Of The Day” at a convention called Cinema Wasteland and it struck me that 30 years later, the cast reunited to speak about their experience. I often wonder if anything I make would ever get to that convention level. I’m not sure. I think when you become a cult figure such as Romero has, it’s very cool to share your movies with people who are lifelong fans. And they would follow your work no matter what. To actually see the people who this spoke to, I would imagine a greater thrill any filmmaker could ask.
I think what struck me more, is their relationship with each other, after the cameras have stopped rolling. Now over 30 years later and much older, balder and fatter…they still reminisce about the process and pain they endured to be part of the movie. I think this is why people get into movie making. The comraderie of making movies extends past the product. We all share a brother/sisterhood when it comes to the grind that comes with making movies. A small army banded together and changed after the war stories are created. I think that’s why I love the process of the filmmaking MORE than the story telling itself. Because it is a family building caravan of humanity all put together on an island to create. Much like these stories of bickering or production woes, it is endearing to know they all cared about a movie. And to make one that is indelible to people seemed that much more worth the effort.
I look at all the small films I’ve made with great fondness. I know there have been these side features I’ve been a part of that left an impression as well. The family we became on this other feature does extend to this day. I know I’ll often tell war stories with my friend who still calls me to make another movie. Even if the product was a fiasco, looking back, there is a warm spot for how things got done to begin with. In the heat of battle you just never know. I think if the relationships are fragile, it solidifies during the making. I know I’ve had issues with actors or actresses in the past, but…I know their experience in the making of it changed them as well. We may not articulate what it was…but I see a part of them in the “real world” spreading the history of how our movie got made. Good or bad. In fact, bad stories are usually much more fun to regale others with. Some of the most grueling projects I’ve worked on share one thing in common…the best tales to tell to the next generation. In that sense, I think movie making is also seeking that family dynamic (remember long car rides that people bickered to no end only to look back on with fondness?).

No comments:

Post a Comment