Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Death Of A Mechanic


The mechanic that I’ve been going to for years now is now dead. Not dead in the sense of being physically dead. But...I have to close the chapter in that odd relationship.

I opened up the hood of my car and discovered the dipstick was broken off at the handle. Really self-conscious that I’d done this, but I couldn’t have. Last place I checked…it was being examined by mechanic. We’ve known each other for years now. Shares with me his racism, and thoughts about the community at large. He hates people as much as I do. Well, he hates them in another way. Since he runs a business, he’s relegated to being nice, polite and so forth. But seething underneath is real anger. I express myself here, sure…but him…he’s to be worried about. Fuming boiling anger is worst than loud angry people. Why? They simmer and simmer for a while.
Anyway, I take my car back to the guy and ask him what had happened to my dipstick. To which he casually told me...or rather tap danced around the idea. UNTIL, and this you won’t believe, he searches my passenger seat and pulls out the broken handle. To which I asked “Why didn’t you tell me?” This piece of shit casually says “I forgot. We check every car here.” Exactly how does THAT warrant forgetting he broke something off and attempted to hide it?
THIS, people…is what I deal with when it comes to humanity. Once I figure people had your best interest in mind is when people really show that they aren’t. It’s not hard to dive head first into cynicism for this slight. I didn’t get angry in front of him, but I can bet, he spun this to be that it was my fault. It also put it in my mind that, no matter how polite, friendly or buddy-buddy you are…the other person’s agenda is completely different. I’ve had many conversations with these people. And we’ve talked as friends. It’s is absolutely SHOCKING that they would pull something like this. No apology. No…taking the blame. Just…they were okay with allowing me to go on with life, broken equipment and everything. It really saddens me people cannot be honest. I DO understand a slight bit how this did come to pass. These people have done favors for me in the past. Little things here and there. To me, that’s a built relationship, to him it’s lost revenue. The sight of me means “discounts” “favors” even though I’ve never asked. Only to be treated fairly. To him, it’s easier to promise a lot, and deliver little. In the end, whatever I got, well, you get what you pay for. Sometimes I find myself doing favors. Which I don’t mind. Until it cuts into my schedule. To be put on someone else’s time table is aggravating. It’s human nature. I know I’m giving this guy somewhat of an easy out. Because I still believe we are friends in business anyway. Do I have confidence in this shop and this person in the future. Not really. It’s time for me to move on. A sad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment