Tuesday, May 17, 2016

You Still Suck

I don't worry that much anymore about whether or not people approve of what I do. I don't cash in on that type of thing anyway, so not worth the time.

I completely understand, if you...as a filmmaker do. Making something with your heart and soul and having the faceless public judge you for it, is brutal. The fact is, no one knows what it took to make the project, and...well...no one cares. The only people who will constantly prop you up will have to be family members or loved ones.

I believe the single most debilitating mistake is to NOT put things out there because you are embarrassed by them. Sweat equity means very little to the people who have to watch your stuff...believe it or not, people WANT you to succeed. To amaze them. To wonder why the fuck you haven't gone on to other things. It's a mystery, but all you can do is do the next thing.

I think about the movies that are put out today. A bunch of them are shouldered by their box office success. Not a bad way to gauge success in the movie, wouldn't use it as a barometer of the quality of movie you made. Pandering has a way of separating real filmmakers from clowns. Though no one would ever turn down a bank account swap with Michael Bay, I wouldn't want to change lifestyles with the guy. If he prides himself as an artist, I'm sure he suffers night terrors of robots that transform over say...something that would have deeper meaning in his life. I would even contend to the tiny projects I've done thus far, I take a great deal more pride in them, than I would say...Bay's entire first half of his career. Chasing the business for money will leave you empty. Bullying respect doesn't get you respect.

I guess what I'm saying here is, keep making things you're proud of. Despite what you think will sell. If people think you suck, at least it was on your terms. That's brave to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment