Monday, May 16, 2016

"Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom" (1984) ON FILM


I really really really pity the new generation that won’t get the opportunity to watch movie on film print. There is nothing like optic sound nor print images. Because it’s simplicity. Forget sharpness and clean and whatnot. Yes, there will most likely be movies best show in digital. In particular, superhero movies. OR television shows in theaters. But things are way too sharp these days. Our eyes don’t see like that. Our brains filter out a lot.
SO when I got to see this movie on film…I got a massive weight of sadness. The people who’ve abandoned the craft and experience have grossly handicapped themselves. It’s not so much the “detail” or the ease of shooting but a LOT goes into making movies that doesn’t exactly translate to screen. It’s phony. It’s television.
And not to be snob, but the experience was amazing, considering the children in the audience LOVED LOVED LOVED the movie as well. I don’t think this exists in the googaplex movies. This exists in a photochemical experience.
I’ve seen this movie over 100 times and I never caught all the nuances of this movie until yesterday. I picked up the small performances of Harrison Ford. The comical eye darts of Kate Capshaw. And the timing of Ke Huy Quan as Short Round.
Director Steven Spielberg considered this his least favorite of Indy adventures, but I’ve always loved this over both “Raiders…” or “Last Crusade…” There’s a touching moment between two people who’ve seen past their cultural differences and are bonded by adventure. There is a joy that even through the darkness that lives through real honest celluloid. Digital feels so…disposable. Even today. I doubt any new films will have this longevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment