Thursday, May 26, 2016

Don't Believe It All


I was watching through some old Steven Seagal movies.
It’s funny how everyone has an opinion of him. And none of them all that positive. As it’s pretty easy to shit on someone who is so arrogant and self aware. But having worked with him through one movie, I have to say…it’s only that he’s famous is that he gains that type of reputation.
I recall on our set, he was usually flanked by a big entourage. Most likely bodyguards. And he was quiet, and didn’t show up until everything was set. Now, if I told you this and said it was…Marlon Brando, you’d give him a pass. Because…it’s someone you consider a “real” actor. While it’s true Seagal is considered more of a personality than an actor, he REALLY didn’t exhibit a different behavior than Bruce Willis or Tom Cruise does. They just show up to work. Not chit chat. I would say if you studied the habits of just normal actors on set, you’d see the same thing. They’re just not famous so it’s not a story.
Yet, a lumbering giant like Seagal seems to have a more microscope to bad behavior than any other actor of his genre. I would say, it’s very unfair. Had Jeff Speakman (yeah, you don’t remember do you, primed to be new action martial arts star) broken through, he would’ve been saddled with the same ridicule and most likely stories would be conjured up about you on set.
This is how rumors start. If you are an actor, it takes one person who has a beef with you to spread some misinformation that you are a difficult person to deal with. Or you have weird rituals or whatever. This will haunt you throughout your career (Richard Gere and gerbils was most likely the work of a disgruntled assistant). THAT’s why stars need to be guarded. Because their reputation is box office (probably moreso in my generation than now). For Seagal to demand I light and shoot him a specific way, doesn’t mean he’s demanding. The better narrative is if I told you he blustered at me to do everything he demanded. But that wouldn’t be the truth. In fact, after this meeting, the crew were very curious as to what he had to tell me. To which I listed his demands. The lowest grip on the rung mentioned to another grip how he felt it weird a star would have the same standards as an aging actress. These are how these things get started. Sometimes…we are actually active participants in getting a star to act odd. Just to see what that person would do. THEN, we base it on THAT incident. We’re more fucked than they are.
The same thing with Andy Dick. My roommate a decade back was his assistant. Everyone has an Andy Dick story in this town. He really does it to himself. But most of it was really untrue. Having spent some time hanging with his posse, he’s really boring. He does things on whims to stave off his own boredom. And he’s surprisingly generous. He’s got weird foibles that I would guarantee aren’t any stranger than a typical American. But since it’s him…the stories circulate. I sometimes love doing that because it’s much more engaging then…oh he’s shopping for a birthday present for his son. Good guy. Yeah, that’s boring shit people tune out of. Unfortunately, a lot of times spicing up your encounters make people perk up.
So, if you ever get around a star, do your best to not fluff up a story to suit your entertainment value. I hope I haven’t. Oh wait, I have. Just the name Steven Seagal itself probably drew an audience of looky-loos.

No comments:

Post a Comment