Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Something To Look Out For In The Movie Biz

I've been an observer for some many years now. One thing that will always floor me...talent and hardwork does not equal success. Or rather what others consider is the definition of success in this business. For me, it use to be how many big name projects you get on. You only had to look at someone's IMDB credit to see. But even this shocks me. Check out a Vimeo page of someone that has a GREAT film and you'll always be surprised by how few credits they have. I cannot explain this other than this is the crew version of character acting. Character actors work in the trenches. They work and constantly work and every once in a while poke their heads out for a premiere or something. But they're not household names. Some prefer it this way. Others made the leap (Steve Buscemi). In the end, acting is your work. Most of us should be so lucky. So a LOT of crew people have made amazing short films but never skip to the next leve. To which I can't explain. The talent, drive and even connections are there. For some odd reason they just come short of the goal of the majors. To be honest, it doesn't interest me in the least to make that jump. I had a bit of it young, and it soured my gut. Still does in a way. I found happiness in what I'm doing now. To the ones who aspire to the big leagues, remember that it is so fleeting. It's like an NFL running back. One season of a name and the rest...disappears. Again, this will drive people nuts who want to go onto studio movies. Because, to a lot of outsiders, THAT is the gold standard. And I'm not being a goof here when I say, you are WAY better off not getting into that arena. A low-key working cinematographer that does small projects is going to be way more satisfied than one that wants to work corporate. True, it is a TON of money. But that also means you owe a lot of people. Keep your debts low.

The other factor in this are the questions that will nag you. I've been asked plenty of times why I didn't get into the majors. Truth? I derailed myself with self-pity. By the time I dragged myself out the business changed dramatically and I didn't care to hustle anymore. Hopefully your path is different. Many people will not make it. Sorry. It's not your heart, your skill or your talent. It just is. And I hope to God you don't blame yourself over something that is inexplicable.
The conversation sounds like this:
"Hey, that short you made was amazing!!"
"Oh thanks, yeah we were having fun"
"Why aren't you doing this for a living?!"
And so it goes. No one is ever happy with the explanation of the true core of Hollywood. That even though you work in storytelling you don't want to work WITH them.
Don't kick yourself too much if this pops up. They really mean well and you can't explain to people it's not even luck that gets you where you want to be. So, the best thing you can do for youself is to appreciate that you have any passion to pursure anything. It may not sound encouraging, but it is. Because your happiness isn't dictated by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment