Thursday, June 18, 2020

White Guilt And Shame

Do you, White folks, feel shame and guilt over your past?
Why?
Anyone who is living now, owned zero slaves and just want to go to work and provide for their family. Would you even have time to be racist?
The answer to most of you guys is, you shouldn't. And that's not just me doling out permission, because I'm not Black. But a lot of Black folk want you to have a taste of what it must feel like to be oppressed. Or sense of it. Why? They know it was terrible to begin with. Whatever small micro-aggression they faced in college. I faced them too. Small slights. I told one recently on Facebook about an old roommate. I don't even remember being that furious back then. In the early 90's people seemed to ignore rabble rousers but today, they are the sole voice. I must've been ahead of my time. Except instead of sticking around to fight, I ran. Which, I don't consider cowardly...at the time. But I was more focused on how much of a loser I felt that school work and combating campus bigotry couldn't be balanced.

Just kidding. I sucked it up. Because, as tough lovers will say..."people are shitty."
In this case, most people are shitty people but good to your face. The social media and internet has made people more transparent or rather, we presume people to be shittier. We also think we know how people think behind closed doors. The ones on the street "protesting" are doing so in trying to show the world they are not racist. Those who speak the loudest are probably THE most racist. And some recognize this and still need to change. It's a busted shame cycle. Which I feel sorry for the ones stuck in it.
You Huh-White who feel bad about what your people did probably didn't even have relatives in the Civil War. Think about how long it's been. Most of your grandparents aren't from the United States. That's two generations behind. You want to bear the cross of the people who you don't even know. That's sensitive but dumb.
We know you need to prove to your Black friends you stand by them. Cool. But most Black friends aren't victims. Don't want you to see them as victims and are amused you even think they feel victimized. Surprise, they're human, like you.
Shame works only if you apply it to improve yourself, not to preach to others what you've learned. You don't speak for them. You shouldn't apologize for something you didn't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment