Thursday, June 18, 2020

Black Privilege

Woo..
Got into a heated back and forth with a Black dude in regards to race. Well, let me re-phrase, he threw a temper tantrum belittled by ethnicity and then had the balls to play victim.
Black privilege?
Took a lot of strength not to put him in his place. No, you fucking racists, NOT the plantation. Only that he is exercising what we all take for granted. The ability to spaz out. Eventually I talked this fool down from a ledge and extended brotherly love and peace. Was actually proud of myself for de-escalating the situation. More upset that this guy is going to spend the rest of his life an abused injured animal, unheard by anyone and always the victim.
Black victims are the worse. Is this racist? No. Victims with no crime are ALWAYS the worse. No wait, Malcolm X said it, White Liberals are the worst. They come deceiving you with false promises, and an inherent sense of superiority that they are needed.

So I was thinking about Dave Chappelle's latest special. I don't have Netflix so I didn't watch it. This is no comment on his statements. Love Chappelle, love that he recorded it in Dayton, OH. Love that he adopted Ohio as a place to raise their multicultural children. Love that I am now going to stop using the term "multicultural." Because I am now certain THAT is the problem.
To segregate our minds to say, you have "Black privilege" or they have "White privilege" is the problem. To be frank, we are America in Americans and we have American privilege. The man above, whom I mentioned threw a fit, screamed in all caps (obviously mentally ill as well) that that's great that I don't see color but the U.S. certainly does.
First off, I never said I didn't see color. But I can imagine how he could assume that. I am now saying "I see color, what I choose to do with that information is up to me." EVERYONE sees color. As it should be.
So Dave's special irked me, again, NOT about the content, but Dave seems to pop up at the strangest most uncivil moments in America and sort of stir the pot for us to laugh at. I seemed this time, it wasn't to have a laugh. It was darker. Something less...buoyant about his delivery. And yeah, I doubt he cares, but it got me thinking...Dave has NO material if it isn't race based. His entire career has been predicated on our inability to get along. He's rich now so I doubt he cares, but if tomorrow racism just ended, would be even be a comedian anymore? I wonder that about a LOT of Black comedians. Would we be able to drop the "Black" part and just be comedians. How would their material change if it weren't about to draw comparisons? How would comedy change? Richard Pryor was the best at it. He dipped his toe in both worlds and saw some deep dark evil that he hid through comedy. His stories were sometimes about race, but mostly about how he grew up. I think this is timeless. I wonder about if Black comedians even want things to change. What would they talk about that White people could relate to? Oh right...we'd finally discover we aren't that different. Raising families and such. Politics will always be different. But race relations never will change. And comedians are grateful for that. IF they aren't they're liars. And if White comedians think otherwise, like they believe Black comedians will be fine without race jokes, remember...there isn't a Black Mitch Hedberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment