Monday, June 1, 2020

We Haven't Learned Anything

Race relations...oooooo...
A friend posted a thing which indicated that we haven't learned anything about race relations since the Civil Rights movement.
I respectfully disagree. We learned how to hide our bigotry under hats.

She means well, and is genuinely one of the good ones, but it illustrated how White people will never know what it is to be a person of color. And they should hope not. To change someone's point of view on this matter is similar to having a sex change. You still have the biology to contend with.
Growing up in Ohio, you go out to wondering what racist thing some White of Black person will say that day to you. So you're always on guard. It bred a mentality where I kept my head on a swivel. Hyper aware of my surroundings. And analytical about the events that occurred. I dissect the slight and file it away. I am certain this is a form of trauma. For Black people, regardless of where they go, it never changed. Still doesn't. NEVER will. Yes, YOU may live your life as treat everyone equally (which is the great thing about America) but individually, you still see anyone who isn't White as inferior. It's a trigger response. Bred for centuries. I feel this may also be another form of trauma

People also say that you aren't born with racist hate in your heart, that it is learned.
While this is true, there are plenty of examples where your brain intrinsically knows the person is different. You cannot turn this off. Yet, people say they don't see color. Yes, I realize this is some shorthand to say they look beyond color, but no one ever asks the color person. They DEFINITELY see color. They see color through your eyes.
See, people asked to "use your White privilege to use your voice" is insulting. To me, anyway. Recognizing privilege is fine. I recognize AMERICA has privileges, which is why this is confusing. For the most part, we have stepped up big time from the "old days" but never recognize the progress (otherwise you'd be labeled a racist). Instead, we're getting militants where just existing isn't enough.
How terrible for the White community to have to feel this burden...it's almost like they want you to feel what they feel all the time. And if you do...then job well done. If not, this all falls on deaf ears. Which is where most of America is. They don't fucking care about these pit battles of "big city folk." They aren't going to openly say they hate Blacks. They've been getting the brunt of this. Where regardless of how much they do, they are still painted with the same broad brush as a redneck racist. What do you think that would teach?

Also, a lot of people who are involved in these things are under the age of 40. I mean the violence and the looting. Because as you get older, you are too tired to deal with readjusting your life in an extreme way (you protest, you get arrested, you lose your job, you have to move, you live with your folks).
And as some have painted me out to "side with the oppressor" because I remain silent. I do my part by just not saying "my Black friend Leon" or "my Black friend Steve" or whatever. Many use this (and we'll be seeing stories about this) that they can't get around seeing only color to prove they aren't a racist.
These memes that overtook social media are teaching me a lot about people I know. Mostly, that they love to show how woke they are and that is disappointing. Of course, they think me being silent means I'm most of the problem.
Sure, which is why I have a blog here to share thoughts.
And, I'm not really sure who these memes are aimed at. That you feel the arrogance of "educating" people is the most offensive. To be honest.

What else have be learned?...it's a lesson the wrong people are trying to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment