Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Reality Sinks In

I'm sure some of you are tired of me telling you how big you're going to fail in the movie business. You aren't going to fail big, because it's not that big of deal.
You are also not the exception, but the rule. Logic.

The crack into the business takes a lot of grit. To stay in the business takes patience. Two things lacking in most of the population. Talent is fine. Looks are fine. Now there's luck.
I've been very honest about my luck. I had no rhyme or reason why someone chose me to shoot their feature film. To this day, never asked. But this type of luck isn't...normal. You're luck won't be either. Because it will come from a place you never expected.

What Hollywood doesn't tell you or you haven't gotten through your thick skull is that you are a nuisance here. They look down from their Chemosphere towers and judge you. Regardless of whether you are an actor or not. And so do your peers. I don't consider anyone my peer at this point. Since I do my own thing. And don't require approval from them. Nor do I require support. What is it that I really need? To put together visual stories and art. And express topics to the people who will understand them. Freedom. Not pandering to the masses. Nor kowtowing to the popular thing. Gross.

What this virus lockdown has shown me, is what the reality is. That we are all one project away from survival tactics. The phrase "balloons in the air" which is a euphemism for having many projects floating ready to go. No one thinks about what is certain or secure. They think I have 10 music videos coming up and one feature and I can pay my mortgage. Fate ended up that real fast. Or that you were going to be in a film or another project. That ended. And is indefinite now, since few people want to be on set with a mass of people breathing on each other for 12-16 hour days. That didn't work out, did it?

Our lives are put on pause. And the perception of those we thought were functioning fine are going to reveal itself. And the ones left standing will be scarred.

No comments:

Post a Comment