Sunday, April 19, 2020

Self Conscience

I'm always baffled how stunning people have issues with their looks on screen. I recall many stories of actors and actresses that refuse to see themselves in the theater. Or having seen themselves 3 stories tall, quickly left the business. I suppose they never saw what we saw.
I listened to a story director Taylor Hackford spoke of on the "Against All Odds" commentary track in which actress Rachel Ward, in her prime, was livid over a shot he used in the movie. She claimed that he had used a close up of her in a one piece bathing suit that she felt was unflattering.
Except...he never used that shot. See, in her mind, she pieced it together that he had. Which is an odd delusion since...I mean...Rachel fucking Ward:

I  mean, many actresses would've died to have her looks and body. But that reminds me of some of the projects I've been making.
There are INCREDIBLY insecure, self-conscious people. I definitely include myself when it comes to have my image taken. But if your bread and butter is your image, it's not hard to see why one protects it with gusto. To the rest of the world, Rachel was a stunner. To her, she saw all her flaws. I HAVE to be more aware of this. As a filmmaker. Because, in previous outings I've typically told the actresses to relax and not worry about those things. Which is probably the dumbest thing to tell them. Instead, it's no comfort to tell them that all of this is in their deluded mind. Which is what my statement implies. It made me really consider that. Since most people, if not everyone, has some concept what they think they look like.
Being more sensitive to these things instead of being dismissive is a pitfall we do not realize. In most stories of actors, we genuinely believe they don't mind their image. But they spend a lifetime cultivating it. Even character actors do. Regardless of, if it came down to looks alone.
My friend made a film where there was a model in it. And every chance she got, we can see she is posing, like a model. Her stance, her walk...stiff and weird. She could not shake this need to want to not leave that perception behind. And I don't blame her. Her insecurity lead to backpedaling to what she knew. If you lose confidence in the director or project, this happens a lot. Most actors go back to what they know best. And you can see it in "Against All Odds." Actors know their best side and they pose as such.
If you plan on directing, be very mindful of these things. Especially with elderly talent. They don't suffer fools to begin with, at least show you are considerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment