Friday, April 10, 2020

Universal Themes

I'm sure some of you who read this believe me to be bitter about the business. I'm not. I love the business. Just not modern business.
I had a friend state that he never understood why people who want to work in the business hate the business. Simple answer...it's work. Anyone who doesn't see it as work hasn't really done anything. Stress, money, ego and emotion. If you're blind to all this...you're a champ. If you've kept your eyes open, and dissect the reality, you'd quit tomorrow.
For me, I love making stories on film. I think it was the making of it rather than the politics that keep me here. Which is why I'm still here. To those who want this to be their business or career, yeah...don't bitch, whine or complain.

Personally, I love war stories. Sometimes this comes out to be bitching and whining. It's not. It's like being rejected by a girl and being able to tell you how ugly the dump was. That's grounds for comedy. Yeah, harsh reality, but comedy. To those who want a career, IT IS OKAY to hate portions of it. AND IT IS OKAY to gripe about it. But never on set and never near anyone who works on set (you never know if a P.A. becomes a producer).

In my opinion, IF you've kept your eyes open you do see the sickness of it. But everyone is blind to it for their own personal reasons. I've also noticed the ones with this type of attitude haven't had the success that is solely working actor status. I'm not sure what most of these peoples' aspirations are. I only know they don't quit. Nor should they. But they also never let reality set in. And if that's the life they choose to lead, so be it. I recall in film school I got a head shot of an older guy (as I was casting a grandfather type) and I called him up directly (1999). I asked him stupid film school guy questions like "are you okay with weekends?" "Can you improvise?" I know...stupid shit. Then I asked "what have you done that I can see?" To which he got quiet, laughed to himself and told me to do an internet search of him.
It was Seymour Cassell.
And I'm an idiot.
Pre-"Rushmore" I'm sure he was stupify how I didn't do my research. And to him, mostly likely didn't want to work with a retard. (another trivia fact Mason Gamble also from "Rushmore" also sent in headshot for my thesis film).

I attend these Hollywood celebrity shows. And I see some of the personalities that have covered the bases of everyone I mention here. There was an actress that seemed deeply troubled she had to do these lame conventions to supplement her living (better than my living). While others...were excited to meet fans, though also very honest "I'll do anything for money! (I heard this directly). I see that the ones that do work are a joy to be with on set. This is the difference between the two. There are the bitter angry ones who never work or have been typecasted versus the ones who broke through that. If you're wondering the why...you're guess is as good as mine. None of it has to do with talent. They are are all VERY talented. They were plucked from thousands of people (when casting was serious), screen tested and proven. Today, they barely even meet. They are recommendations or people they've met in classes and so forth. This is the mud to which you need to sift through. I noticed the pleasant ones also have a long career being...normal. Too many of the offbeat weirdos are typically the ones who have long careers because they began as that and knew their type. They are proud to be that. And they thrive. The ones who were pretty boys fizzled out fast. It's hard to pinpoint how or why one couldn't transcend that other than to say...a casting director wants something other than "pretty." Some age into it. Receding hairlines, bad teeth, grey hair. Could've worked for Jan Michael Vincent if he would've kicked addiction. Kind of worked for Mickey Rourke when he took up boxing.

Yes, attitude is everything in trying to get your next job (which is why I was sick of pretending I liked the projects I was shooting). If you're in charge, I doubt anyone cares what you're attitude is.
But I love Hollywood. I don't love how Hollywood runs like high school. But I honestly love the mechanics of it. The history. I'm sure if you dissected the reasoning of it, most likely based on how I enjoy moving people with stories about human beings. Because it meant a lot to me growing up as an Asian kid in White bread Ohio. Universal themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment