Thursday, April 16, 2020

2007 Recession

A young guy I tutor in filmmaking on film asked me what it was like in 2007-2008 Recession. Was I working then?
Answer: yes. But in a really boring job.

I had to think back. Yes, people...2 years is long time in the mind of a boozer. And I simply told him "I was too broke and too drunk to care, and it was the best time ever."
To a lot of people creating security happens as you get older. When you hit 40, most of us quickly understood we had to take care of certain things like health care and living a little more comfortably. Because by this time most are married, have children or are too tired. In the film industry most sought out jobs in easier settings. I forgot to tell him that entertainment is usually never hit by any recession. It's the only thing that people are still willing to spend money on.
In this case, virus has kept us all away from a film set, for a very long time. Indefinite. Usually, this would be a perfect time for theaters to rake in some serious money. Something to distract us. But if you're an actor, director, writer or any other crew...it's going to be a while before you get back on a set.
I think the more you have, the more you think you have to protect. It seems a certain point they've taken everything from you, so what difference did it make if they took that as well. I think most of you who struggle out there lived like I did back then. Without a sense of financial ramifications. In fact, back then, I sort of laughed. I owned no home nor had any retirement plan. I'm in the middle now. I don't terrorize myself with the statistics. Though I am also tired of not being able to make things. We get restless.

No comments:

Post a Comment