Tuesday, April 28, 2020

In Appreciation

So a few people have reached out to me in regards to this blog and I wanted to let the readers know how much I appreciate you guys reading this vomitorium of industry bullshit and some other dumb stories I think of when I'm in traffic or driving around.

I know most of this will fall on deaf ears, because a few of you are willing to make the sacrifice to get there. Until you see what the sacrifice really meant. The community is different now where you can be in no budget schlocky films and get some views. But people are fickle. If you make movies, unless it gets mass distribution, it goes into a hole. Until you make 3 more. You grow a following really. This is the new model for those who don't work for the studios but aiming towards that goal.

Obviously, this is NOT a template. Your success is based on other factors (including what you think success is). A few people who contradict me about the "new model" of show business, guess what? You're probably right. But you're an anecdote and not the norm. Though not much in this business is the norm.
I don't know the REAL business of show business, because I don't crunch the numbers. I didn't get into filmmaking to have checkboxes. Like comic book movies have. They have checkboxes that require certain things to happen. And then sequels that continue that. That's why they're dumb. Except to children, because they like pretty colors and loud noises. Also, you see any acting there?

I'm very grateful for those who do read this and actually absorb what I'm telling you. As I'm sure a few of you think I'm some crazy weird dude who stands on a mountain and yells doom and gloom to you below.
Partly true.
I like shutting people down. Because I do have years hovering within "the industry" and none of it pretty. It's got cool moments, like old Hollywood locations are damn cool. But for the most part, if you're working, you're working. No fun to be had. Unless you're young or coked up or drunk.

Someone down the line once probably planted in your head that you are worthy. Which you are. However, being worthy and getting an opportunity means something different. You can be talented and do all the hard work and sacrifice, and end up with nothing. Which is what I commonly see. OR make those opportunities yourself and tell the powers that be to fuck off. Which is what I encourage. So often I ask people to write me a script. The only two who have done this, both women, one not even in the industry. In a way, it seems the people at the fray know more than the ones inside. That's you readers out there. You do know more than us insiders. Because you live with the public. You go to your office and talk about movies. And for some who are film fans, you talk about what YOU would do different. Doesn't mean it will work. In fact, probably won't. But it's fascinating to hear how the people outside of the arts view cinema (most are probably the comic book world movies, because it's the only thing that hits multiplexes). If they're old enough, they probably remember a different feel to them. They don't know why movies don't feel like they use to.
Probably because those films liked to develop people properly.
We're all about behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment