Friday, May 1, 2020

The Story Of The Frog

I think it's all good that sometimes my warnings to you attempting to get into the business fall on deaf ears. Most likely you tell each other "man, this dude is a loser who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. All those years of drinking derailed his career."
Well...I'm good with that.
Because most of you aren't anywhere near working in this business, so having you learn the hard way is my best reward.
It doesn't matter if you're substance abused or have addictions. Hell, they're all mentally unwell, the point is...you are accepted if you can crack the code. And most I've seen thus far have no clue.
Do I?
Yep.
Most of you will stay ignorant and wash out. I washed out and wish I were ignorant. But I know the people who work in it. And they aren't remotely interested in your town play in God knows where. Most of these assholes wouldn't know a play if it hit them. I directed "American Buffalo" in college. I had to explain to a producer who David Mamet was.

And yes, they aren't all like that. But, they do have to maximize their time. But if it's craft that's important, most will move mountains to achieve it. Like if you like a person, you will reschedule your life to be with them.

But in terms of people who don't heed my warnings or pratfalls. There is the story of the frog in the pot.
See, a frog is put into a pot on a stove. it is slowly turned up. The frog doesn't notice his predicament. He thinks it's a nice warm bath. Until it's too late. And he's toast.
And I see a lot of this.
Perhaps too stubborn to know. Or their alternative is far worst than being cooked on a stove.
The most successful people I know in the business, work where the work takes them. They see it as a job. A dream is always at the edge. My stuntman friend, is VERY successful. Owns 5 houses in different parts of the country (so he can stay when he works). Has international friends. And has very famous friends. And writer friends. He is a true renaissance guy. Despite the fact that the industry sees him as "just" a stuntman (like Colt Seavers). He has written numerous feature scripts that most likely aren't going to be produced by a studio, since no one believes a stuntman can write. So he goes out and makes it himself. That's a dream.

A lot of people have it in their minds that they have to be happy in this business. Which is true. However, pretending to be happy, which is what I see more of, isn't the same thing. You have to challenge your pursuits and climb the mountain with strategic intelligence. You have to be smart and not do stupid things in your personal life to take you away from your professional ones (if you care).
Just don't jeopardize your health either. Or else you will become the frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment