Saturday, April 11, 2020

Dreams

What is your dream in this movie business?
Is it to be a director, producer, writer, actor?
And is it to be well known or respected? Or is it to leave a legacy? Or all the above.
I think about that. I think my purpose has been to support filmmakers working with film. This has brought me the most joy.
I've expressed multiple times how much I've hated being on set. I'm certain the people I tell this to hate hearing it. I think it's funny. I hate being on set, but I like the people. Especially if they are fairly new to the business. Because I like hearing about their ambitions. I don't care about mine, but I love hearing how amped up they are about their vision. It's wonderful to hear young people (or new people to the business) get into the trenches and make stuff regardless of the odds.
I have a friend who directed a movie with a guy who had zero idea about the business but just wanted to make his story hit the screens. I love stories like these because you can start anytime. IF you have the fortitude to follow through. I know, it's a platitude, but most of the time all I hear are brick walls. I will offer some land mines here, but for the most part, I will never discourage you from your aspirations. Forgive me if I roll my eyes if you do dumb things to get there regardless of sound advice.

Some people will never take sound advice regardless of who it comes from. Stanley Kubrick could sit here and tell most of the youngsters they will never make it, and they'd still go forward. This is the stubborn nature of our business. Which is aggravating to the people who do work in the business. Mostly because their advice falls on deaf ears. Mine certainly does. Though I'm no Stanley Kubrick, I've beaten a lot of odds.
Not that my career or life is worth following. It's comfortable, as a guy in their 40's. It's office work, but also working with young filmmakers. It's a dream job for me, but for others it may be stifling.

My camera technician guy who fixes all my gear is married, in his late 60's and has no children. He seems unhappy, Most of these guys don't have children. I think because they see some kind of obstacle there. To him, it's probably distracting. To many, this is their lives. He has worked in the industry for decades and is, more or less, retired with a lot of money living a comfortable life. I'm sure he rolls his eyes when I bring him one of my cameras with something dumb I've done.

The point is, what is the final outcome in life. In what you want to do in this business. And is the sacrifice worth it? Your health, mental well being, and comfort. These are far more important than a moment of glory that is fleeting. To me anyway. I know many people who've suffered to get that. The 23 year old Thom who started film school in pre-Millenium did (I lived in a SHITTY apartment with carpet that smelled like wet dog). This is what you do when you're young. And though I admire the tenacity, past a certain age, it's not healthy.
But people still push forward. And onward with a bizarre view of false optimism. It's the only thing one can afford.


No comments:

Post a Comment