Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I Didn't Curse Anyone

A girl reached out to me years ago and wanted to talk to me about photography. She and I had a mutual friend and agreed to meet for tea. She is from the Midwest. Wholesome, kind gentle and really sweet. She had a pretty decent job working for reality television which segued into a really serious union gig (she was in the editor's union EARLY...which by the way, I HIGHLY recommend hiring women editors. Their timing and rhythm surpasses men). Until the virus shutdown occurred. I suspect it really hurt a few things in her life.

But, on our initial meeting I was very blunt about Hollywood. Same as I am here. Nothing about it is easy and if you want to do something, forget these assholes who create barriers or roadblocks and so forth. Typical "welcome to Hollywood, hope you have the stomach for it." Kind but blunt. I didn't know her, but I know she is incredibly sweet.

She told me she was newly married. By instinct I blurted "oh man"

Kindly, she wondered what I meant by that.

Then I explained "I've never had friends who came out to Los Angeles, wanted to pursue this career path, ANY Hollywood career path, and their relationship survive. Hard enough it's just living. But hustling as well? A few of my film school friends were married, but ended up separating shortly after. You can get married out here, BUT having someone come out never seems to work."
It is the truth. It isn't fact.

She seemed rattled by what I said. Naturally. So I tried to backpedal "you seem very nice, and I'm sure he is as well, but...I don't know what it is. It just happens."

She basically was surprised how "negative" I was about it and seemed also to absorb the information but not necessarily believe it. Nothing confrontational. I simply told her this.
NOT that she needed to know the statistics, mind you. I don't even know that. But it's pretty obvious on some levels, relationships are HARD. Relationships when you HAVE to be selfish is damn near impossible.
The obvious thing is this...if you have someone who isn't in the business, they will understand your pursuit and most likely champion you over it, but in the end, that journey is very lonely. On both sides. You grow up and apart and you won't know it until it happens. These two attempted to play house and years later they are separated.
Regardless of how much they understand or are understanding this pursuit swallows people whole. And I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't happened to me.

I made a tentative date to meet up with her again after this blows over. Curious on how she is doing. It doesn't seem right to talk over the phone over it. It seems a nice cup of tea and chat is in order. What other pearls of wisdom may I add to her future endeavors? Focus on the good person you are in life and that your dream will sometimes rob you of normalcy.

No comments:

Post a Comment