Saturday, April 4, 2020

Quarantine

I'm very lucky.
I've friends I can speak to from very different parts of my life.
Most people who've come out here have shed all that. And rely simply on the survival of what's in front of them. Day to day survival.
A lot of people shed their past to get out here because they don't want to be reminded of it. I've no problems reaching out to parts of it. They're what ground you and help you when things are rough.
Friends that deep allude MANY people here because they have zero attachments. And that is the quality sometimes that benefits them. In a situation where you are alone, this is probably the best scenario. Everything is in a holding pattern. Though, they may not see their lives will be irreparably changed by things beyond their control.
So much suffering these days. I have a friend who owns a small business that probably won't when this ends. Hopefully California steps it up for them. This was of no fault of their own. And Mom and Pops need to survive. I've been popping into diners for take out here and there and leaving large tips. When I get my stimulus check, I'm giving it all away. I am very lucky and, as I told one friend, money does me no good when I've got what I need and can't buy the things others need for themselves. I've got a three to four year stockpile, which is not to brag, but to conclude that it doesn't matter how much money you have, if you have nothing to buy.

That said, check up on your friends in this town. I worry about a lot of them, because they were always at the edge of existence. Funny how they worry about me. Though I suspect it's because they believe I'll go back to the bottle. Boredom and time probably would make a lot of people go towards it. Not for me. I'm catching up on a lot of friends I should've made more time for. Revisiting great memories. Making sure they're all safe. Many have families as I'm sure a lot is on their minds.

As for me, I'm revisiting cooking. Made a massive pile of shrimp scampi in lemon butter and garlic over a bed of spaghetti. Easy recipe. Great results. I wish I could share this. Some people order Dominos and survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment