Monday, April 13, 2020

Why?

If you've read this far, more than likely you're probably thinking "look, asshole, if you hate Hollywood so much, why the fuck are you doing it?"

First, I work from the inside, sideways. Which means I see the politics and the waste and stupidity of commerce over human stories. Most other countries who fund their cinema, make human interest stories. Do they make money? Not really. But they're good for the soul. How much is that worth to you?

That said, nothing wrong with making things that are "cool." I have plenty of friends who make grindhouse, drive-in theater schlock and are proud of it. And they're really entertaining. But that fades quickly. The ones that speak to the person are the stories I really dig. For instance, anything John Sayles has done. His money maker is/was being a script doctor. However, the movies he directs don't make any money. They're awesome, get BIG named stars and cinematographers, but not many people will go to a theater to watch. Critically acclaimed but not for the masses.

Which, incidentally, movies for the masses obviously have a value. It rakes in the money for studios to give people like Sayles a chance to make his movies. HOWEVER, people go with whatever you put out. If you give them "Kramer vs. Kramer" that's what they'll go see. Society seemed a lot more interested in those stories then. Now you can't address this without it being labeled a "Lifetime" movie. "A Marriage Story" recently bucked that trend. What's that?...1 in 10,000 flicks since then?

Anyway, I work in movies to tell the stories I want to tell. Pretty simple. I frequently tell people I don't really care if people do watch them, but what I really meant to include was...I want the RIGHT people to watch it. I have an issue with Hollywood because they don't really take a stand in regards to this. They are a business...multi-corporate at this point and slowly swallowing up and semblance of art. Some of you, seek these out. Or are sites where they direct you to these esoteric flicks. So you have an inside scoop. But it isn't the mainstream. Nor should it...I don't think. It's entertainment first, which is cool BUT for me...it's addressing a lot of questions I have for human interactions. As I've said before...people are interesting...space aliens or comic book people are not. They are a representation of humans, sometimes linked to human traits but do not share the anthropology of humans (though some make a good link to it..."Black Panther" was smart to do so).

I have many questions, also, of my own behavior. Films to me are dreams and memories realized. And they battle each other out in that "what if" universe. Yes, it's a selfish endeavor. But the bottom line is...if it spoke to ONE person, then the job was done. I've got certain people who are impressed by going this route. Others think it's cinema masturbation. I prefer being much more specific in human idiosyncracies. They are much more interesting to me. And my investment is that specific people will "get it" too. What I'm addressing is that Hollywood loves a sweeping generalizations. Which they pound into submission. When you put a microscope into behavior, I think it means more to people who catch subtlety.

No comments:

Post a Comment