Thursday, April 9, 2020

Two Things Can Be True

There's an old adage in Hollywood which says "never use your own money to make a movie."
Obviously I don't fall under that, since I only use my own money. However, here is the odd thing...you expect someone to believe in your talent...yes? Okay, how exactly are you NOT going to spend your own money in your OWN belief to prove you are good enough. See, in Hollywood, there are a TON of people willing to say "no" because they are "the money." If you are "the money" and believe in yourself and your project than it doesn't matter what those people say.
This is a risk...and one that you need to decide whether it's worth it. But I will tell you this...
...the only ones who work consistently in the business from my film school had wealthy parents to begin with. Their folks bankrolled their music videos, short film and some even features (a lot turned to nothing as well). But this offers you a better chance. Because they used their own money to prove their talent (or lack of). If you wait until someone plucks you from a crowd and tells you you are worthy...you'll grow old. Rejection is everywhere (well, except if you do no-budget films...like mine for instance, heh heh heh). Non-union projects are a plenty. Though, I've plenty of friends who are in a union and have not benefitted from it. They have to understand the hustle is still a hustle.

Anyway, why would you expect someone to take a risk on you if you won't take a risk on yourself? That's my thinking. So I recently spent thousands of dollars on gear and modifications to start padding out my production company (which also supports and represents young directors who want to shoot on film instead of digital). To me, this investment isn't only for myself but to preserve the integrity of the craft. To me, putting money into this venture is very low risk since I require no return. For you out there that believe you are talented...spend the money to make yourself look good. Study (don't need school) listen, watch and learn. Plenty of books and online videos to dissect. And listen to the greats. Yeah, most of the interviews are lousy promotional garbage. Like Marlon Brando doesn't have much to mine. BUT, listening to Orson Welles or Jim Jarmusch have interesting tidbits of information. I know they're directors, if you're an actor reading. But they have great insight on the actors they worked with.

I think the adage should be changed to "always invest in yourself first, Hollywood won't"

No comments:

Post a Comment