Saturday, April 4, 2020

Hollywood And The World Shutdown

Entertainment is linked to the world.
I know a lot of people thought arts and entertainment were disposable, but in our quarantined world...suppose it isn't anymore. While, true, we can't attend concerts OR movies in theaters, we are able to revisit our archives and perhaps slow down and appreciate what we had. I think this slow down is actually really good in terns of easing the throttle in an ever changing world that moves faster than we have time to think.
I, for one, started watching movies I should have picked up on decades ago. Nicholas Roeg's "The Man Who Fell To Earth" (1976) is a mind bending, acid trip. And cinema today seems to owe a lot to the non-sequitor image and music that permeates this film. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't hit this one up earlier. Mostly because after work, I throw in "Alf" re-runs or just toss in something I've seen so it can be background noise. I think that's what most people saw entertainment as...background noise. It's the forefront now.

Hollywood shutdown to create new content, because being on set requires too many people and people spread virus. So we're at an impasse until the end of April (at least). This is a great time to reflect on the great cinema and television that came before the time when everyone was in a rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment