Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Who You Run Into

At a recent party, I ran into a hefty Asian guy. He told me he was a director/writer...mostly a writer. He was very humble. Quiet. The other Asian guy at a Hollywood style party. He was brought there by his girlfriend who was in the movie. A guy who'd been raised in the midwest like me and now in Hollywood, working. He dressed like me too. Raggedy. Didn't give two fucks. He told me about the movie he was directing. A feature film. It blew my mind, since that is a crazy impossible feat in this town (if you've read my previous blog). They'd just wrapped shooting and he was grousing about how a partial financing of the movie meant that they had to deal with international people doing the post production work. That meant editorial, visual FX and sound design...in a different country, because of money breaks. To me, that was bush league, and must be a straight to video crap.

He left the party. A nice enough guy. We had that Asian thing going. Yep, another Asian working in the movie business. Pound it dawg. He said his goodbyes.

Out of curiosity, I looked him up. The feature he's finishing happens to have: Josh Duhamel, Julia Stiles. Makin Ackerman, Alice Eve, Anthony Hopkins AND...Al Pacino. This was his first feature directing gig.

Yep, I'm the asshole. What made it worse...prior to knowing the cast...he told me it was STILL a struggle to get it done financially in Hollywood. Think about it, if ONE of those names were to be in your project...that wouldn't be enough.

That's the new world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment