Friday, May 8, 2015

Asians and Education

In my culture and almost all Asians, we didn't have much of leeway when it came to education. We'd compete with ourselves to see who was smarter. Most of the time it was an unspoken thing, in high school and college it was all out war. For smarts. Yeah, no one would fuck us, but we got into college or got great I.T. jobs.

There's a new movement now where they've been lowering standards of acceptance to colleges to include a diversity of people. And, in some turn of irony, leaving out the Asians, since...they're pretty much full up. What people don't seem to realize is that whatever bar you set for Asians, they don't turn their back to that challenge, they attempt to reach it. The standardized testing to get into college now implies that an Asian applicant needs to score even higher than their other counterparts. Instead of whining how unfair this situation is, they've accepted the standards, and now still reach it.

How fucking much higher does this need to go before someone realizes how utterly DUMB this is? The answer: no one will ever draw attention to it. Therefore, goes unnoticed. Why? Because it's stupid. In an attempt to level the playing field, you've essentially lowered your standards. What I grew up with, was that there was a line, and you go to it. The line NEVER went to you. So what type of student do you get? Entitled. I can't tell you how many times professors would love to shake an entitled kid to death. Entitled are the worst students. The worst employees. And worst humans.

My point being, this "good deed" people think they're doing by helping the educationally deficient, you're really crippling them by arming them with a sense of life working out no matter how little they try. Disappointment could be the saving grace. I know I've had my share. I can't compete with my Asian doctor friends. But that's on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment