Wednesday, May 27, 2015

That Special Age


Once you arrive at a certain age, what I’ve noticed is that people start to get an appreciation for the experiences in life that eluded them when they were young. A mid-30’s person will pick up a book and quietly read in a park. That same person in their 20’s would more than likely not appreciate the solitude. I’m not completely sure why this is, but I find that there is a stillness that comes with age, where the simple sounds of just air passing by you, is enough to keep your brain active.
I think it also makes you much more receptive to learning new things. Not necessarily a physical new thing, but if someone happens to throw trivia your way, a younger cat would be dismissive, whereas a person older would find that piece of information something to ponder.
I thought of this when I heard a guy say that there is an classic axiom about artists, that the world will break your heart at least once. It is the burden of being creative. Now a younger version of myself would scoff. ”Touchy feely faggot shit!” says I. But now that I’m much older, I know what it means now. And appreciate the sentiment behind it. Because I’ve experienced so much disappointment. And have, in my own way, attempted reaching for the brass ring.
Unfortunately, entertainment likes fresh and new. Hell…that’s what everyone sees. Younger gathers much more attention (which isn’t true, since a person writing from hindsight has a lot more perspective). But that’s the perception. And in our business perception is reality. A guy who blusters on about his career in town, is building up credibility. Though so many people now, from even a few rung from the bottom (and still in the business) has stories.
I think it’s because our arrogance is drained out of us, when we hit a reality age. We know we aren’t the smartest, prettiest, talented person in the room. And I think we’re okay with that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment