Sunday, May 31, 2015

Practice What I Preached

I drove through Burbank dropping a friend off after a show in North Hollywood.
I was pulled over by a cop. A large Black cop (I mention this strictly to allow you to decide where your position is on this)

I found a side street and pulled in. Fuck! It's midnight, and I'm tired.
Had to open the door since my window is jammed.
"Evening, you have a license and registration, proof of insurance?
"Yes sir"
I dig up all three. Meanwhile...
"Where you going?"
"I just dropped off a friend"
"Where are you going?"
"Van Nuys"
"Uh-huh."
"Sorry, about pulling up to the side street, it's all I could find."
"Thomas, you had anything to drink tonight?" I was in kindergarten again.
"No, sir!" About to blurt out I haven't had a drink in over a year.
"Uh-huh"
He was writing something down.
He handed me back all my i.d.
"You drive safe now, Thomas"
And I was on my way.
Yeah, it sucks. Being polite and keeping it lean made the experience friendly. I can see where people would get nervous. Police are trained to spot all bad things. Or potential bad things. Don't waste your time with the stupid stuff.

1 comment: