Friday, May 1, 2015

Living In A Freddie Gray World

Arrest warrants have been issued for the homicide of Freddie Gray. He was a Black man who was apprehended and had died on his transport to the station due to neck. 6 warrants for police officers negligent homicide is probably going to be the final charge. Something needs to be done, but I'm not sure people want to hear honest justice. Honest justice would be to admit that this guy wasn't the best example of law-abiding.

Freddie Gray wasn't some dude who was randomly standing on a street corner who was roughed up by the police and then died. He was a drug pusher and a burglar. And it isn't one incident or two. It was a lifetime. Now, he didn't deserve to die for his crime, but I wouldn't argue if you thought one less drug dealer on the street.

This paints a very glaring image at the new life we are dealing with here. Our past actions don't dictate ourselves in the present. Yes, I understand you cannot be judged for how you were, say...in college. But I didn't push crack or break into homes when I was that age. If anything, I was hurting myself. Drug smugglers, dealers aren't innocent. Yet, when someone like this scumbag or Mike Brown dies, we dismiss the moments when he was manhandling a store owner. Or give people reasons to knock over CVS stores.

The word may not be "glorified" but I'd be more incline to take to the streets of protest, if either Freddie Gray or Michael Brown died at the hands of the police for running an illegal UNICEF drive. As it were, people seem to be leaping at the immediate public outcry and not really consider that police aren't arbitrarily pulling Blacks off the street to kill them. Again, I reiterate, keep off their radar, you'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment