Thursday, October 22, 2015

Travelin' To The 'Nati

Skylin chili
you really need to be from the town to appreciate. I tried my hand at it, and was decent. But...you know...requires long simmer and large Germanic arms to stir the pot for days. The secret is letting it sit for a very long time. It turns into a slurry, which is then put on top of spaghetti noodles or a hot dog with cheese. And you power through it. This is but a few things I look forward to.

Leaving Los Ang-e-leese for a little bit is always a nice feeling. I have my life here. Making da' movies with whispers of celebrity, but you don't really understand people unless you get to the ground floor of America. Americans in general don't know Hollywood. Or they read enough about it, I guess. I like that it remains a mystery that I can share. But often times, I am much more interested in my nephew's football team, or my niece's interests in "Frozen." A story about sisters, where she has none. I think I lost a lot of perspective being out here so long. It's insulated, if you want it to be.

I do hate flying. Man, the shuttling around is for shit. Being at the mercy of others' schedule is crap. But I am looking forward to hanging with Mom and Dad. Dad is getting older, and had a health scare earlier this month. This break came at a perfect time. As I've written in the past, he is very philosophical about things. And it's always great to hear his wisdom, for the time we have left.

I still have dizzy spells and flying makes me nauseous, so we're there too. Man, I sound like an old Asian man. "Oy! With the movin' and the shakin'" Yeah, we don't sound different from old Hassidics.

Anyway, see ya in a bit L.A.

2 comments: