Thursday, October 8, 2015

Schmaltz


“What kinda’ movies do you make?”
I dipped my head, unable to fully explain “I think I make schmaltzy ones. The ones that end a little corny.” I expected her to ask what that was. Instead “I like schmaltz.”
“You do?” equal parts surprised and happy.
“Sure, schmaltzy movies end the way I want them to.”
It dawned on me that I grew up liking schmaltz. In Yiddish “schmaltz” is rendered animal fat. It’s gross stuff. In movies, they’re stories that end up with a happy ending that chokes you up. Swelled sentiment. Schmaltz isn’t realistic. It’s hopeful. For which, as a cynic, is death. But it is unrepentantly romantic. Here’s the thing…we all are going to die one day. I think people do enjoy schmaltzy movies because they distract you from the inevitable. Schmaltz says that a nebbish can eventually end up with the hot model with a heart of gold. That a line like “love means never having to say you’re sorry” means something. That people ride off into the sunset arm in arm and tomorrow will be a better day. Why not? It’s being hopeful. That we all deserve happiness. And love. It’s that isn’t a bad thing. Considering the reality is that things do end. And most likely end tragically.
I think this type of movie tells people that we don’t all have to live in tragedy (as we already do). In my thesis movie case, it would’ve been better had I ended it in the schmaltziest of terms. The story being a grandson who finds his grandfather to live with him, despite his other option of being left at an orphanage. HIGH SCHMALTZ. The reality being much darker. Even legendary cynic director Billy Wilder had his moments of schmaltz. Especially in my favorite movie of all time “The Apartment.” It essentially ends at the perfect moment of schmaltziness.  Why not? It makes us feel good. It makes us look at the person next to us and not be so bitter or angry. The point is, our lives do have schmaltzy moments. I think the older we get, the less we want to show that side. Or accept it. The “I love you’s” in the face of adversity. To audiences, they hate themselves for liking it. But still are moved by it. Some think it’s an easy manipulation. Feh! I say. I now believe, if you can get away with it, inject your movie with as much good vibes as possible. And end it on an upswing. Too many of us are dark and brooding and miserable storytellers. Be the one that shows the rainbows and unicorns, after they’ve been dragged through the mud. Or rendered animal fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment