Thursday, October 22, 2015

Sarah: The Fascinating Seat Mate

I first spotted her across the room. A red head, looked gaunt and different from the people waiting. Prettier and younger than the bloated travel face. I shrugged. Dismissed the quick glance between us. We boarded the plane. It was a long one. I slowly made it closer and closer to my seat...

Guess who I got seated next to?
I was a bit uneasy. It's hard to catch someone's look and then end up seated next to them. Worst was that they see how uncomfortable you are.

Yep...her name was Sarah and she chirped up so peppy, it was hard not to like her. She rattled off questions left, right and center.
What do you do?
Where you from?
How many people in your family?
We both lived in the valley and talked about that too.
Her questions didn't stop...

I'm guessing she was under the age of 30, traveling to her hometown of Philadelphia. People overshare when they're nervous. She seemed to like telling me about her boyfriend, and the struggles she had living in the Valley. Yet...yet...she was so positive and...well, such a sweet soul. I'm not sure how to describe it other than manic. But a good manic. Like you can tell terrible things that befell her, for instance...having her car stolen didn't seem to phase her. She just chalked it up to being in Los Angeles. She sensed I was uneasy about flying. Frankly, I wanted to vomit. She informed me that her biggest nightmare was to have someone puke on her while she flew. And she's been places. Germany...to work with orphans for instance. This is not a person who lets crap in life get in the way. Oddly enough, she informed me she didn't have many friends in L.A. She had a boyfriend but no friend. She genuinely seemed interested in...people. Which is an endearing quality. I gave her my card, and told her to get in contact with me. It was nice to meet her and so forth.
Who knows if she'll follow through. We had a lot in common. I wasn't attracted to her in "that way" only that it made traveling so much nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment