Friday, October 2, 2015

Gun Control

The real problem in America is that we aren't honest with ourselves. Everyone seems to believe they are in control of themselves. But this is not the truth. We pretend as if we do. Then lash out in other ways. The arrogance we believe that we can own something in our hands to take another life should be so daunting and intimidating, most people with a modicum of respect for life would never pick one up. I've made no mysteries that I hate guns. Because I know my limitations in terms of owning one. Had I been a 20 year old with a gun, I'm not sure I'd be here today. Because that younger, much drunker person would've put himself in terrible situations due to anger.

That's the real issue. Yes, many have said that it is about a person's mental state and that guns don't kill people. But the accessibility to own one is scary. Yeah, you can purchase one illegally off the streets, but an unlawful firearm has the same likelihood of getting you in deeper trouble than a legal one for which you have to be licensed for.

Here's what is confusing. Most people are convinced it's mental health that causes these tragedies. Okay. If mental health is the issue, what would you rather have accessible to crazy folk? A) a car B) a knife C) a gun.

I would guess gun-nuts would STILL say C as it would mean their ownership of a gun would be validated. It's not.

You know, when they wrote the Constitution, most of the population were on the frontier. A gun was used for protection. But from nature. And to find food. These days, I would think we'd evolve past that. It seems so wasteful that a dumb emotionally idiotic 20-year old would take the same thing and use it to murder people. It has no purpose. If it were to end his own life, not an issue. But to take out others is really confusing. I mean, back then any and every able bodied person must survive in order for the town to thrive. If you went on a killing spree with a musket, the worst you probably could do is two people, if they were standing next to each other at hugging distance. Nowadays, you can spray away and hurt countless people.

I'm not sure more gun laws are working. Not having guns doesn't work. I hope we figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment